The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Twitter Advocate: How to Promote Twitter?

Recently I have become some what of an advocate for Twitter and the benefits of Twitter for SLTs.

This month I wrote a Letter to the Editor of the RCSLTs Bulletin in order to raise awareness of Twitter in the field of SLTs and detail exactly how it has helped me as a Student to be connected to SLT students, SLTAs and Qualified SLTs.

When I told my Tutors at my University that this was to be published they were excited (and apologised for not joining Twitter sooner!) and even asked me to write a piece in the very first edition of the University's SLT Newsletters that will be sent to Practice Educators. 

So during this I have come to realise that many of my Twitter followers that I am connected to come from America, Canada, and Australia.  Now this makes me curious as to how Twitter is promoted over there, is the best way to tackle this lack of UK SLTs on Twitter to be writing in the Bulletin and Newsletters? Or is there a better more technology based way to reach people?

If anyone has any thoughts about this, please do comment - I would love to hear any ideas!

But overall what I have realised through taking on this "advocate" type role, is that Twitter really has supported me through the good times and the bad.  I get to have someone I can proclaim my excitement with, someone that will actually understand why it is exciting (I think I've gone past the point of boring my family with the excitment of swallow assessments!) but I also get to have someone to support me when I am confused, eagerly searching more information on a topic, or worried about how to do something!

So if you are reading this blog (and you haven't come here via my Twitter!) and you are not on Twitter, go & sign up now! Blogs are as beneficial to CPD as Twitter is, but on Blogs you do not get that community sense that you can build with Twitter, so go and join, and "meet" people you never thought you would!

And most importantly don't forget to use hashtags #slpeeps #slp2b and #slt2b to find us SLTs with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment