The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Communication Partner

During our 2nd (& final!) year we have allocated a placement that is NOT a clinical SLT placement.  It is there for the purpose of developing our communication skills only, not our partners.  It is an opportunity to give another individual social conversation that is an enjoyable experience whilst we students get an opportunity to learn how to adapt our own communication to suit the other, and become aware of how we communicate.
 
We select one individual over the year to work with 1:1 and I have been placed in an Adult LD setting.  I am working with a man in his 20s who is such a laugh.  He is non-verbal but he just laughs and laughs and laughs whilst I continue to entertain.  I have taken this to mean he is having an enjoyable experience so at least I can say I have fulfilled that role!
 
Initially I was unsure of why this placement was in the curriculum, and how this would really benefit me.  But I have found a way to work with someone without being a SLT but still being able to analyse and be aware of my own communication in order to suit the other.  It is a fantastic tool of reflection where I have developed skills within the LD setting, with adults that are non-verbal, with staff and carers and within my own communication.  Though I am now unable to turn my "SLT Brain" off when I am in a communicative environment, I am forever informally assessing the others receptive and expressive skills and non-verbal cues, however I have now found a way to internally analyse this and use this to adapt my communication to suit the clients needs, rather than thinking of interventions or strategies to give to others to engage in.
 
It has also made me realise that training another person to be a Communication Partner (as SLTs may need to in adult carers) and to develop their skills may take time, not only because it takes reflective skills and awareness of communication, but also because the prior education as to WHY it is important is one of the most essential parts to this process.
 
I am now curious how many other SLTs get an opportunity like this to be able to reflect so effectively on their own communication, before having to begin a job where they are reflecting on others communication. Please comment if you do have a similar experience to this as I would love to hear your views :)
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gemma, I too had an experience as a communication partner in the first year of my SLT degree. An experience I shall never forget.
    I visited a gentleman every week for about 4 months. He had a stroke, he was verbal but struggled with his writing and word finding. He was a very lonely man as he had fallen out with his children some years ago, and his wife had died some months previous to his stroke. But, he was a true inspiration, he 'battled On' as he would say and makes the most of life. Doing his shopping, cooking, going on trips up and down the country. His main passion was trains. We would often sit together and look at his collection of train books and videos, I learnt more about trains than I ever thought possible.
    I think the communication partner scheme is an invaluable experience. I know it has taught me a lot and could offer a lot of insight to training SLT's, qualified SLT's; and any young people that are interested in health or social care. After all communication is the key to life!

    Brilliant Post, really enjoyed reading about it.

    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! Its a fantastic feeling to give someone else an enjoyable time when they are often left alone and a great opportunity to develop communication! I agree, would be invaluable for all health and social care staff! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete