The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Wednesday 17 April 2013

My experiences.. Job Applications and Interviews

Recently I sought the hints tips and suggestions of SLT's and SLT2B's about job applications and interviews, and have had some great responses to the things mentioned and have heard some fab stories about the process of job hunting in the SLT world. 
 
However, I am not here to talk about other peoples hints tips and suggestions anymore, instead I want to reflect on my recent experience in the job hunting world.  I applied for my first Band 5 job in April this year and was lucky enough to get an invite to interview for the post following my submission of a personal statement.  Unfortunately I did not get the job, but found the whole process a great learning experience - even in learning how to handle waiting for the phone to ring, and taking in feedback and points to develop (of which any student SLT on placement knows can be difficult at times, especially if you may not fully agree with the comments posed).  So this post is to say that, even if you do get knocked back, every knock back is a learning experience and will only endeavour to make you better in the future.  So here are tips from my recent experience:
 
Job Application:
  • Be concise in your personal statement.
  •  
  • Make it focused on the service you are applying to.
  •  
  • If you have had experience within the service you are applying to, mention it! Drop names even!
  •  
  • Follow the person specification in your personal statement, ensure you cover all essential and some desirable!
Interview:
  • Be calm and confident, you've already made it so far!
  •  
  • Give yourself time to settle down, you're only human!
  •  
  • If you don't understand a question or can't remember it all, apologise and ask for repetition.
  •  
  • Seek clarification if you are unsure of the question - one way is to paraphase "do you mean..".
  •  
  • Sell yourself, if you are asked to "add anything else", make sure that you use that opportunity to shout about your skills and why they should hire you.
  •  
  • Prepare answers to scenarios, and questions prior to the interview.  Try to consider all your placement/work experience and the strengths, challenges and points to develop of these before you go into the interview.
  •  
  • Ensure you thank them for the opportunity at the end of the interview, manners go a long way!
Post-interview call back:
  • Make sure you answer the call when you have time to talk, and are in a suitable environment without lots of noise.
  •  
  • Even if it is a call of rejection, thank them for everything.
  •  
  • Seek feedback, or if offered, accept feedback.
  •  
  • Discuss with them honestly how you felt it went, or give them more detail about why you felt that question was difficult.
  •  
  • Write down the feedback they give you, including tips for future interviews.
  •  
  • Consider the positives of the feedback, or where they do not offer positives, ask for positive feedback.
Most of all, it is necessary you remember that every interview is different and that every interviewer is different. And, like I said before, every knock back is a learning curve to take a leap forward with. I know that I am grateful for the opportunity to interview, it showed me strengths in my personal statement, and showed me that I did have what it takes to be considered for a Band 5 post.  I am also glad that I have learnt so much from the interview experience and the feedback given and I hope that future interviews to come will also support me in developing and learning.  Then one day, I am positive, an interview will end in my dream SLT job! *Fingers crossed*. Good luck to all #SLT2B's out there!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this blog post- as a fellow student graduating this year (from Cardiff)it's really nice to hear your experience and how you have turned it into a positive. Were there any interview questions that you found particularly hard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped! And always nice to meet a fellow SLT2B! I struggled with scenario questions such as "what would you do if..." mainly because I've always had chance to think things through and clinically reason effectively before engaging in the actual response rather than thinking so quickly on my toes. I'd say definitely revise all your previous case examples and consider all aspects of them as times of quick fire questions where you strugle to think of an answer, previous experience you draw on and can access easily will support that clinical reasoning process. I'd love to hear your experience when you start the job process (or if you already have!) - its great to share and learn from each other. - Gemma

      Delete
  2. Fab thank you Gemma! I am currently applying for jobs, have not had any interview offers as of yet (feedback I have received was really positive just that they had to cut down applicants by only short listing already qualifies SLTs!). Have applied for a couple more recently so have my fingers crossed for an interview, but who knows. I completely understand the difficulty of scenario based questions, I feel that's what I'll find most tricky as, like you, I have more of a reflective learning style so prefer a few minutes to gather thoughts etc! Thanks for the advice, look forward to reading more of your blog posts. All the best for future job applications. Tabitha x

    ReplyDelete