The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Wednesday 3 April 2013

My Toddler Talks: A Review


My train journey provisions
Recently I was asked by Kimberly if I would like to review her new book My Toddler Talks and I jumped at the chance.  So I eagerly awaited by the postbox for it to arrive and once it did it was time for my Easter weekend break, and the RCSLT Student Day up in Leicester.  So with my bag packed with Kimberly's book, a notepad, pens, highlighters and many post-it notes I was ready for my train ride and to dive into this book.
 
As I had never reviewed a book before I thought post-it notes of my thoughts would be the best way to keep my thoughts organised and have been swimming in post-it notes ever since (finding them in the strangest of places such as in my bed!).

But down to what you all want to hear.. "What did you think of Kimberly's book?"
 

Post-It Notes everywhere!
Well.. It is fab! Absolutely great!
 
As someone who's course is split 1st year paediatrics, 2nd year adult (and now being in 2nd year) it's been nearly a year since I have engaged in paediatric therapy and it was fantastic to read this book to re-jig my memory of child language development and milestones, hints and tips for how to engage with children and some fun games that would be great for encouraging language. 

So whilst Kimberly aims her book to parents to support them in communicating with their toddler and providing a language rich environment, I feel it should be for all SLT Students and SLT Practitioners
 
I know I'll keep My Toddler Talks in my SLT Toolkit for my remaining 5 months as a student and into my career as a practitioner.
 
Now if I consider a parent reading this, and stepping out of my shoes as a SLT, I think it's a fab book for working in conjunction with a SLT and a therapy program.  However, there are a few times in the first part of the book (where Kimberly outlines routines and language modelling techniques) where I wonder if parents would fully understand the terminology used and the strategies outlined.  But I envisage a parent being recommended this book following a SLT session, and in that case I think a parent could take a great deal from this book, and would be able to question and clarify any words or strategies with the SLT in charge. 
 
So whilst there may be some SLT jargon, or language modelling techniques that parents may need explaining, Kimberly outlines that this book is not a replacement for SLT and for me this is one of  the important aspects to ensure parents take away from using this book.
 
Kimberly's book initially comprises of theory, outlining language development and milestones, onto general strategies and tips for encouraging language development.  This is a great opener to support parents, children and language development.  But my personal favourite part of the book would have to be the activities section.  This thoroughly outlines resources needed, time needed, the structure of the play and extra tips for engaging in many different activities and is extremely accessible and adaptable to suit the parent and child's needs.  It is also highly transferable for SLTs that are stuck in a rut and need a new activity for therapy!
 
There are many positives in this book for parents, Kimberly effectively outlines that the parent is the expert of the child, not the SLT and detailing that play should be child led and positive throughout.  Extra tips such as reducing questions, imitating and video recording are many things that us SLTs do intrinsically, but are essential to be detailed for the parent.  Having these hints, tips and strategies in this book for parents to keep at home at all times is great, and makes it really accessible. 
 
Overall, Kimberly's book covers both theory and basics of language development, strategies and tips to support encouraging language by adapting the parent/carer/professionals language, and extremely well detailed activities that rely on resources that accessible in most homes that effectively encourage play and language development. 
 
It is a book that all paediatric speech and language therapists should have access to, a book that can be recommended to parents and be implemented alongside therapy in the early years.  I know for a fact that when I get stuck on my language development milestones, or am in need of a new game for therapy I will turn to Kimberly's book.
 
I want to take this opportunity thank Kimberly,
for giving me such a useful tool as a student
and as a future practitioner.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Gemma for taking the time to review my book! I greatly appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete