The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Clinical Reasoning Models: Applying these to supervision

Today I had a lecture on clinical reasoning and clinical supervision.  It was really eye-opening to see that my feelings that I had reflected on in my previous 2 blogs on clinical supervision were mirrored by my peers.  I was able to reflect more on the issue of supervision being a 2 way process, of which is reciprocal from both supervisor and supervisee. 
 
What was interesting to then draw on was the notion of clinical supervision as a space for the supervisee to draw out their thoughts and really become more self-aware whilst engaging in offline reflection - a process of clinical reasoning.  It was interesting to then be aware of how to apply the Higgs and Titchen's model of knowledge alongside a newer model of evidence based practice to clinical supervision in order to become effective at clinically reasoning whilst drawing out personal strengths and areas to develop. 
 
Higgs and Titchen Model
 
By reflecting offline with a supervisor, you were able to see more clearly how you clincally reasoned derived at that thought, by drawing on research/literature/theory from propositional knowledge, vs. personal knowledge from own experience and from client centred personal knowledge vs. drawing on clinical skill craft knowledge.  It was interesting to be aware that as we grow as student SLTs that the way in which we apply these different domains can alter and this can be a growing process in itself.  
 
Only through reflection and supervision can we become more aware of our skills and expertise, as well as our areas to develop.
 
 
Evidence Based Practice Model
 
I am very excited about starting my block placement in a month and hope to go into this being open and honest about how I prefer supervision to be, having been able to reflect on the things that I have valued in a supervisor previously, but also in the hope that I can become more aware of my own clinical reasoning skills through applying both the Higgs and Titchen model and the EBP model that I have now come to know.
 
Does anyone have experiences of this as a student supervisee or as a supervisor? How do you apply these models to your practice? How do you develop your reflection skills? I would appreciate any comments or tweets on this topic :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment