The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Thursday 10 January 2013

My First Day of Placement... & TACPAC

So yesterday I began my first Adult year SLT Placement - I am currently in a Private setting for Adults with Learning Disabilities and these range from mild to profound.  I've got a lot of experience in the LD setting and so I was very excited to throw myself in at the deep end on this one.  The morning involved a tour around the place, a detailed introduction from my supervisior about her background as an SLT, her reasons for taking students and background into the setting itself.  Then after being introduced to the clients and groups we would be working with over the next 8 weeks we were given a chance to breathe in the form of a lunch break. 
 
After lunch came the really interesting part of the day - TACPAC.  A peer from my course had previously been on placement at this setting and told me I must look up TACPAC, but I can safely say (like most things) you will not understand it till you see it.  So, I should start at the beginning...
 
TACPAC (as it is described on its website) "is a revolutionary activity pack that combines touch and music to promote communication and social interaction, sensory, neurological and emotional development."  Basically, you get given a box of objects, a list of when to use them and music to accompany the objects. 
 

So first we were given a furry piece of fabric, with the instructions to rub it on the clients body, namely the body parts that were skin exposed for best sensory experience.  Next was chopstick, tap and roll these on the client.  Thirdly came the double textured sponge where both textures should be experienced.  Fourth was a paint roller, which was rolled on the clients body.  Fifth, a wet sponge in warm water "squished" on the client, followed by number six, a towel and/or blanket for the drying and relaxing time.  All of these individual items came accompanied with "matching" sensory sounds and should be used in connection with the client to establish a safe area, a comfortable sensory experience and an opportunity to engage with another
 
Initially I thought it had many resembelences to Intensive Interaction, the idea of having a shared space between two individuals where interaction was possible.  However with the added dimension of sensory integration. 
 
Whilst the client I was working with did not seem to respond very well to these items, I was informed that today was a new item introducing day, and that for the past 5 weeks she has had the same items consistently and has built a strong recognition of scheduling, timing, and connection with both the objects and the individuals working with her.  For those with profound disabilites, this seems to be staffs choice of intervention, and can work as a calming end to what may have been a highly stimualted day for some individuals. 
 
Though I may feel slightly dubious about its actual long term effects, I can see that many people are invested in this as a tool to develop sensory, emotional and even communication skills.  I am looking forward to partaking in TACPAC over the next 8 weeks, and would love to hear anyone's views of TACPAC both on my Twitter account or on this Blog Post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
TACPAC (Further description - taken from their website)
 
  • It provides a structured, emotionally safe framework for the 'receiving partner' to make contact with their own bodies, their environment and other people, and develop a relationship with these.
  •  
  • Through linking what becomes familiar music with objects, actions and people in a pattern of different activities, the partners communicate with each other.
  •  
  • It is the building of trust which can help both giver and receiver develop greater confidence in communicating with each other, perhaps meaningfully for the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment