The life of a fully qualified SLT

The life of a fully qualified SLT

Tuesday 8 May 2012

SLT & Social Networking

I began my MSc in September 2011, and one of the initial thoughts was - set up a Twitter account.  This thought occurred to me as I realised that with the lack of evidence base that the job role has there was an ever changing policy and practice based on new research and contemporary clinical reasoning - So I really needed a fast way to access this and began adding everyone and anyone with "slt" or "slp" (speech language pathology!) and any notable names in the research field of speech, language and communication.

Having found a wealth of information, and a fantastic way to brainstorm, problem solve and the ability to communicate with SLTs from UK, Ireland, America, Canada and even as far as Australia, I can safely say that Twitter has me hooked! Ok sure, I have the odd band or stand up comedian on my list - but the moment I sign on, I scroll through the latest updates - then proceed to search for my favourite hashtags! And for any of you SLT's to be (or just those new to Twitter), I recommend a look at the following hashtags:
#SLPeeps
#SLP2B (or in lower case #slp2b)

I've been able to discuss a range of things with my followers (and fellow SLT's) from speech interventions that work best to different types of formal and informal speech assessments and have even received help and support about my upcoming essay titles!  I feel like I have a SLT family to support and guide me when needed and am even beginning to offer my own suggestions and views based on clinical practice within placement.  With the development of modern technology, both networking with other professionals and the promotion of the profession to others is now accessible to everyone and anyone!

Ok so the downside might be that I tend to spend a portion of my "study" time ever-so slightly distracted by twitter, my blog, facebook etc.  But the benefits in this case, definitely outweigh the cons!

So for all you modern day SLTs, whether you are a student or not - get on to twitter! And when you do, follow me - you can guarantee I'll follow you back!

No comments:

Post a Comment